These vertical knee mills are equipped with vari-speed drive, available with optional digital vari-speed. The dove tail ways chromed, and the box ways are hardened and ground.
- To dissipate heat in the 3 HP motor driven head, a pair of high output fans is installed. This allows the machine to work demanding jobs for extended periods without damaging the motor, belts and bearings. A unique SHARP feature.
- The motor shaft and Vari Drive pulleys are dynamically balanced, then hard-chromed. This allows a vibration free milling even at high speed
- Since the Vari-speed drive system is operated by sliding the Vari Drive pulley up and down the motor shaft. The motor shaft is therefore chrome-plated, and has an oil channel that is fed by a grease fitting on the lower end for self-lubricating purpose. This ensures the sliding motion is trouble free at all times. A unique SHARP feature.
- The motor shaft that drives the pulley and the spindle is subject to a lot of lateral stress. A roller bearing is installed for the lower support of the motor shaft. A unique SHARP feature.
- Beside swiveling 90 degree side to side, the head can also swivel up and down by virtue of a knuckle joint design. The new design developed by Sharp uses 6 bolts, 3 each side, that fitted into a circular T-slot milled at the inside of the over arm and secured by nuts from the outside. It secured the head tightly and offered high accuracy in milling operations.
- A matched pair of super-precision ABEC-7 angular contact bearings supports the spindle. The quill is CNC-ground to a mirror finish, and then chromed to fit the housing. Together, they insure spindle run out of no more than 0.0004” TIR- the best in the industry.
Column, Table and Knee
- Hardened and ground box ways on column and saddle.
- Turcite coated slideways for better resistance to wear and retention of lube oil.
- Certified MEEHANITE castings are used for superior rigidity and better dampening of vibrations.
- Table and saddle backlash is controlled by a double-nut design that keeps the feed screw in contact with a pair of bronze nut at all times. A unique SHARP feature.
- Hardened leadscrews on table and saddle for better resistance to wear.
- The end of the table and saddle are mounted with thrust bearings that pre-load the feed screw, eliminating endplay for precisely controlled lateral movement.
- Instead of hand scraping the top of the knee ways for oil retention, the matching underside of the saddle is hand-scraped. This extra step avoids having chips and dirt embedded in the knee ways and damages the sliding area.
- "Bridgeport-style" mill
Why DVS head?
- High reliability with fewer moving parts than regular vari speed head
- Dynamic brake
- Low voltage control
- Large Digital rpm display
- Fully enclosed display unit
- Dependable Inverter Drive System
- Machine can run on single phase or 3 phase electricity
- Safety device prevents machine from self starting after power failure or after emergency stop being pushed
- Hardened and ground box ways
- Draw bar
- Front and rear way cover
- One-shot lube system
- Toolbox with tools
- Call for Pricing.
- Power feed system on table, saddle & knee
- Power draw bar
- Riser block (4" or 7")
- Right angle milling attachment
- Coolant system with chip pan
- Milling vise
- Clamping kit
- Halogen work light
- R-8 Collets
Item does not qualify for free shipping.